A 2-mile section of paved multiuse trail that follows the flood control levee along the Naugatuck and Housatonic Rivers, and meanders through “O’Sullivan’s Island,” a peninsula and park at the confluence of the two rivers. Connects to the Ansonia Riverwalk at Division Street and via the Derby-Shelton Bridge to the Shelton Riverwalk.
The Derby Greenway is part of the larger Naugatuck River Greenway Trail that will one day connect 11 communities along the Naugatuck River from Torrington to Derby. For more information about the NRG, see the NRG website.
A large fountain located in a "pocket park" at the Division Street Trailhead depicts lions spraying water into a granite pool, complete with a pet watering station. The fountain was given to the City by the National Humane Alliance in 1906, one of more than 140 that could once be found in cities across the country. The small park is also the location of the Derby Hall Of Fame and a plaque from the US Department of the Interior designating the trail as a keystone project of the "America's Great Outdoors" program.
A giant tub wheel at the First Street trailhead is all that is left of the manufacturing center that was once located along the south side of Route 34 in Downtown Derby. This tub wheel and others like it were once driven by water diverted from the Naugatuck River and delivered via canals and tunnels to power copper and woolen mills in Downtown.
Parking and trailheads are located at three locations:
A 9 space paved parking lot (including 2 accessible spaces) is located on Division Street across from BJ's Wholesale. (41°19'50.5"N 73°04'50.3"W)
A gravel parking lot is located at O'Sullivans Island Recreation Park at the south end of Caroline Street. (41°18'55.0"N 73°05'08.1"W)
A gravel parking lot is located at the corner of Main and Bridge Streets. (41°19'09.5"N 73°05'23.9"W)
Success! A new password has been emailed to you.